The Virginia Center for Public Safety is a non-profit, non-partisan grass roots organization dedicated to the reduction of gun violence in Virginia. VACPS strives to accomplish this mission through awareness, education and advocacy. VACPS members represent a cross-section of racial, religious. professional and political groups.
THE PURPOSE OF VACPS IS TO:
- Strengthen individual knowledge and skills to prevent gun violence.
- Publish and distribute newsletters to educate and increase awareness about issues of gun violence.
- Lead discussions with school and community groups.
- Provide youth oriented videos and educational materials dealing with gun violence and prevention.
- Survey and publish views of legislators and candidates on issues relating to firearms and gun violence prevention.
- Advocate conflict resolution as a peaceful alternative in disputes.
- Build partnerships with youth advocacy groups.
- Build strong coalitions among like-minded groups, individuals, and organizations to strengthen our effort..
- Work closely with legislators to plan and support measures that help prevent gun violence.
- Promote gun owner responsibility and punishment for those who misuse firearms.
- Support the passage of sensible gun laws.
VACPS ADVOCATES :
- Education and training of firearms purchasers and users.
- Safe storage of firearms in the home.
- Restrictions on where concealed weapons may be carried (i.e., recreation centers, events where alcohol is served).
- Severe penalties for firearm possession or use when under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- State licensing of dealers with requirements for storefront operations and liability insurance.
- Regulation of secondary sales and transfer of firearms.
- Strengthened regulation of gun shows.
- Consumer product safety review of firearms.
VACPS DOES NOT ADVOCATE:
- Restriction of the responsible use of hunting and sporting weapons
- Abolition of handguns